1 a committee having supervisory powers; "the board has seven members"
2 a flat piece of material designed for a special purpose; "he nailed boards across the windows"
3 a stout length of sawn timber; made in a wide variety of sizes and used for many purposes [syn: plank]
5 a flat portable surface (usually rectangular) designed for board games; "he got out the board and set up the pieces" [syn: gameboard]
6 food or meals in general; "she sets a fine table"; "room and board" [syn: table]
7 electrical device consisting of an insulated panel containing switches and dials and meters for controlling other electrical devices; "he checked the instrument panel"; "suddenly the board lit up like a Christmas tree" [syn: control panel, instrument panel, control board, panel]
8 a printed circuit that can be inserted into expansion slots in a computer to increase the computer's capabilities [syn: circuit board, circuit card, card]
9 a table at which meals are served; "he helped her clear the dining table"; "a feast was spread upon the board" [syn: dining table]
2 live and take one's meals at or in; "she rooms in an old boarding house" [syn: room]
3 lodge and take meals (at)
4 provide food and lodging (for); "The old lady is boarding three men"
- Rhymes with: -ɔː(r)d
- A relatively long, wide and thin piece of sawn wood or similar material, usually intended for use in construction.
- A long, narrow table, like that used in a medieval dining hall.
- The amount paid for meals and lodging.
- A device (eg, switchboard) containing electrical switches and other controls and designed to control lights, sound, telephone connections, etc.
- Short for e.g. blackboard, whiteboard, chessboard and surfboard.
- A committee that manages the business of an organization.
- basketball informal A rebound.
- The side of a ship.
- The distance a sailing vessel runs between tacks when working to windward
- The wall that surrounds an ice hockey rink, often in plural.
- body board
- boogie board
- circuit board
- emery board
- floor board
- ironing board
- off board
- on board
- sounding board
piece of wood
amount paid for meals and lodging
device containing electrical switches
blackboard, whiteboard etc
- Dutch: bord
- Finnish: taulu, lauta, levy
- German: Tafel
- Hebrew: לוח (luakh)
- Irish: clár
- Japanese: 黒板 (kokuban), ホワイトボード (howaitobo-do)
- Sorani: تهخته
- Latvian: tāfele
- Portuguese: quadro, lousa
- Russian: доска
- Spanish: pizarra
- Swedish: tavla
- Telugu: నల్లబల్ల (nallaballa), తెల్లబల్ల (tellaballa)
- Dutch: raad
- Finnish: hallitus, johtokunta, lautakunta
- German: Gremium
- Japanese: 委員会 (iinkai)
- Portuguese: conselho, comitê, junta
- Russian: правление (pravlénije) , палата (paláta) , совет (sov'ét) , руководство (rukovódstvo) , коллегия (koll'égija) , комитет (komit'ét)
- Spanish: consejo, comité, junta
- Swedish: styrelse, nämnd
- Telugu: బోర్డు (bOrDu), సమితి (samiti)
basketball: a rebound
side of a ship
- Finnish: kylki
- Portuguese: bordo
- Russian: борт
nautical: a distance
wall surrounding ice hockey rink
- Finnish: laita
to step or climb
to provide someone with meals and lodging
to receive meals and lodging in exchange for money
nautical: to capture an enemy ship
Board may refer to:
- Board, a piece of lumber, or other rigid material made of wood, milled or sawn flat
- Surfboard, skateboard, or snowboard (often made of fibreglass)
- Board of directors or a similar governing or advisory committee
- Mixing console, also called a sound board, a device for combining, routing, and changing the level, tone, and/or dynamics of audio signals
- Bulletin board system or Internet forum
- Bulletin board, a place where people can leave public messages
- Board (bridge), a device used in playing duplicate bridge
- Board game
- Board or level, a distinct area in or stage of a video game
- Chalkboard or whiteboard, a reusable writing surface
- Board, use of accommodations in a house or hotel; to stay at school during term time, and sleep in a dormitory
- Board book, a book made more durable by the use of cardboard covers and thicker paper
board in German: Board
board in Basque: Ohol
board in French: Planche
board in Lithuanian: Lenta
board in Dutch: Board
board in Japanese: 板
board in Occitan (post 1500): Pòst
board in Polish: Deska
board in Simple English: Board
American Stock Exchange, Amex, Areopagus, British Cabinet, C ration, K ration, L, R, Sanhedrin, US Cabinet, Wall Street, aboard, accommodate, accommodation, accommodations, acting area, advisers, advisory body, allotment, allowance, ambo, apron, apron stage, assembly, association, back, backstage, band shell, bandstand, bank, bar, beam, bed, bed and board, bench, bestow, bestraddle, bestride, billet, board and room, board of directors, board of regents, board of trustees, boarding, body of advisers, boom, border, bordure, borough council, bourse, brain trust, bread, bread and butter, break bread with, breakfast, brick, bridge, brim, brink, brow, buffet, cabinet, cadre, camarilla, care for, cast loose, chamber, cheer, cherish, city council, clap on ratlines, clapboard, clear hawse, climb on, coast, college board, comestibles, committee, commodity exchange, common council, commons, conference, congress, consultative assembly, cook out, cord, cordwood, corn pit, coulisse, council, council fire, council of ministers, council of state, council of war, counter, county council, court, creature comfort, cuisine, curb, curb exchange, curb market, curia, cut loose, daily bread, deal, deliberative assembly, desk, diet, dine, dine out, dinner, directorate, directors, directorship, directory, divan, dock, domicile, dressing room, driftwood, eat, eat out, eatables, edge, edibles, embark, embark on, embus, emergency rations, emplane, enplane, enter, entertain, entertainment, entrain, escalade, escritoire, exchange, exchange floor, executive arm, executive committee, executive hierarchy, face, facilities, fare, fast food, feast, featheredge, feed, field rations, firewood, flange, flies, fly floor, fly gallery, fodder, food, food and drink, foodstuff, footlights, forage, foray, forestage, forum, frame, fringe, furnish accommodations, get in, get on, glass, glaze, go aboard, go on board, go on shipboard, governing board, governing body, grass, gratify, graze, greenroom, grid, gridiron, hardwood, haul, haul down, health food, heave, heave apeak, heave round, heave short, hem, hop in, house, hut, infrastructure, ingesta, inquisition, inroad, interlocking directorate, inundate, invade, judicatory, judicature, judiciary, jump in, junk food, junta, kedge, keep, kitchen cabinet, kitchen stuff, labellum, labium, labrum, lath, lathing, lathwork, lay, lay aloft, lectern, ledge, legislature, lightboard, limb, limbus, lip, list, live, lodge, lodgings, log, lumber, lunch, mahogany, make a raid, make an inroad, management, marge, margin, meal, meals, meat, mess, mess with, mount, nurture, on, on board, orchestra, orchestra pit, outside market, over-the-counter market, overwhelm, panel, panelboard, paneling, panelwork, paper, parish council, pasture, performing area, picnic, pile in, pit, plank, planking, plyboard, plywood, pole, post, privy council, proscenium, proscenium stage, provender, provision, provisions, puncheon, put to sea, put up, quarter, quotation board, ragged edge, raid, rations, ratline down, refection, refreshment, regale, regalement, repas, repast, revet, rim, room, satisfy, scale, school board, secretaire, secretary, selvage, shake, sheathe, sheathing, sheathing board, sheeting, shell, shingle, shore, short commons, side, sideboard, sideline, siding, skirt, slab, slat, slate, softwood, soviet, spar down, splat, spread, staff, stage, stage left, stage right, stand, stave, stay, steering committee, stick, stick of wood, stock exchange, stock market, stock ticker, stone, storm, stovewood, stream the log, subsistence, sup, sustain, sustenance, switchboard, syndicate, synod, table, take by storm, take ship, telephone market, tend, thatch, the Big Board, the Exchange, the Inquisition, the administration, the boards, the brass, the executive, the people upstairs, the stage, theater, third market, three-by-four, ticker, ticker tape, tile, timber, timbering, timberwork, top brass, traverse a yard, treat, tribunal, trustees, tucker, two-by-four, unlash, veneer, verge, viands, victuals, vittles, wall in, wall up, wallpaper, warp, weatherboard, weigh anchor, wheat pit, wine and dine, wings, wood, workbench, writing table